Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Way To Go, Helio!

I have taken some real heat from my buddies about my love of ABC's Dancing With The Stars. Over the past several weeks, my girls (Paige, Ellie, Mama 'Rie) and I have had a pretty rigid Tuesday night schedule. We eat dinner of some description, set the DVR to record DWTS, and head off to Discovery Ice Cream for a little treat. Upon our return home, we plant ourselves in our comfy chairs and watch the show with rapt attention.

We were elated when both the female and male supermodels went home early. Not only were they not that great, America did not know who they were. It made sense. When Sabrina was sent packing, it was the closest I'd come to launching my remote through the TV screen since Mandisa was voted off American Idol. It rivaled Memphis State's 1997 victory over my Peyton Manning-led Volunteers.

On a lighter note, Wayne Newton's lingering on for a few weeks allowed me to develop a pretty solid imitation of his voice. I'm working on "Danke Schoen" (That's Danka Shane for those of you in Minneapolis).

Tonight's finale was great! Celine Dion's solo on "My Heart Will Go On" nearly had me up on my feet proclaiming that "I am the king of the world!"--- Nearly. It was one of the better celebrity performances on the show. A close second to Barry Manilow's lip-syncing train wreck. The only thing that would have made Barry's appearance better would have been to see host, Tom Bergeron, bounce a quarter off of his taut, face-lifted cheeks.

Helio Castroneves was my dark horse favorite from the get go. When Sabrina was sent home too early, I really thought he might have it in the bag. Among the guys, in my opinion, Helio's charisma got the nod over Cameron "Superman" Mathison. However, at mid season I made the statement to Paige that if I could look like another man, it might be Cameron. If I looked like that, I would run for President of the United States in 2012. Paige only nodded, grinned and got a far away, fantasy look on her face. Hmmmmm? I used to want to look like Howie Long. I'm afraid I'm headed toward Huey Long.

Well, it is over. Way to go, Helio! Now I have to find another chic show to fall in love with in order to exploit my feminine side. The beauty of it is when I catch heat from my buddies, they know, deep down, if I wasn't such a sweetheart, I'd just knock them through the wall.

2 comments:

  1. I was a skeptic the first time I tried to watch DWTS, but after one or two shows I was completely hooked. Who wouldn't want to move like those people? Have you seen Maksim or Edyta? Oh dear!!! They're beautiful people. Sometimes when I watch them dance I almost shed a tear (Julianne has the same effect on me) They move with such grace and elegance. The emotions they elicit in the viewer are amazing. They are so good at what they do and it's obvious they love what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered taking Dancing Lessons? How cool would that be?!? I'm game....

    ReplyDelete