Tuesday, December 22, 2009

RE:view - Primal- A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity


Before I offer my review of Mark Batterson's latest book, Primal, I feel it necessary to put all my cards on the table. I am a huge Mark Batterson fan. I read both of his previous offerings (In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day & Wild Goose Chase), I follow him on Facebook and Twitter (@MarkBatterson) and, quite often, I listen to podcasts of his sermons from National Community Church in Washington D.C.  No, I'm not a stalker. I just appreciate great, visionary thinkers and I REALLY appreciate them when they are Christ-followers who've dedicated their lives to fulfilling God's call on their life.  With all of that said, you may not find it hard to believe that I am recommending that all my cohorts in full-time ministry, as well as, any Christian brother or sister who wants to fan the flames of faith which, for whatever reason, may have become little more than a smoldering coal. Primal should be the first book you read this new year!


Batterson and his publisher, Random House, were kind enough to send me an advance copy of the book to review. At first blush, there may be two reasons why a simple, cursory examination of the book may lead one to think, "Not another one!" First, the premise of the book revolves around the Great Commandment- "Love the Lord your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength" (Mark 12:30). Reading this on the jacket cover may give one the impression that this is another "formula book" in the vein of The Prayer of Jabez. No offense to Bruce Wilkinson, I liked Jabez, but this is NOT one of those.


Secondly, a quick glance may lead one to think that its another "church bashing book." While Batterson offers plenty of insight and criticism of certain tendencies within the body, this book seeks to encourage and edify the body by building-up the individual believer. We must be willing to admit that we are NOT living up to our full potential and that is something that can be universally agreed upon, I hope.


Enough with what the book isn't. Here is what it is: A FANTASTIC READ!  Batterson's contention is that the Great Commandment is "Christianity in its most primal form" and he masterfully leads the reader on a tour that it seems he just finished.  It felt like I was chatting with a friend over coffee and agreeing with everything that he was saying. After an intriguing prologue which sets the reader up for the journey that is about to commence, the remaining chapters look at The Heart of Christianity, The Soul of Christianity, The Mind of Christianity and The Strength of Christianity.  While each aspect deals with very familiar subject matter, there is a perspective and context that is extremely fresh. It is not very often that I find myself fascinated by a different take on the biblical text that I had NEVER considered, but that happened more than once.


Fans of Batterson know the combination of wit and wisdom that comes into play with his books and this one is no different. He clearly has a lifelong appreciation of learning and I am fascinated by the breadth of knowledge that he has on a wide variety of subjects.  He is at ease talking about and interweaving diverse personalities like Senator Bill First and C. S. Lewis or diverse disciplines like particle physics and theology. Through it all, I felt challenged, both as a vocational minister in the church AND as a Christ-follower like anyone else. "There is gold in that thar book" for everyone.  I have had numerous conversations with folks about some of the ills we battle as a church.  But I have never heard it as eloquently and convincingly stated as it is in Primal.


My friends know that I recommend everything from great ice creams and restaurants to great movies and songs. Hear my heart when I say- For the sake of the call God has placed on all our lives, pick up a copy of Primal today! You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment