Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Volunteer's Take On Tebow


Tebow Fatigue. The latest in a long line of media-generated vocabulary additions. It describes the nature of being tired of the constant media attention given to University of Florida quarterback, Tim Tebow. Tebow just completed his second National Championship run and, as of this past weekend's announcement, will be vying for a third title and possibly a second Heisman trophy next year when he returns for his final season.

I was born and raised in Big Orange country. My dad has had season tickets in Neyland Stadium for roughly 45 years. All I knew about college football growing up was seen through an orange colored Volunteer lens. I love the Vols. With that said, despite my best efforts otherwise, I cannot keep from loving and pulling for Tim Tebow. I am not a Gator lover by any stretch of the imagination and I don't particularly care for the attitude, demeanor and tactics of their coach, Urban Meyer, but I enjoy watching Tim Tebow play ball.

The first thing that draws my attention to Tim is his tenacity and competitive nature. I was always highly competitive when I played sports. To this day, whether I am playing softball or a game of Phase 10, I want to beat you. I like that about Tim. He is a gamer. The highly publicized post-game interview following the Gator's lone loss to the Ole Miss Rebels is proof positive of how Tim approaches the "game" of football. He is a winner.

Secondly, he is a gifted athlete. His combination of size, strength and speed are unusual for a college quarterback. It has allowed him to endure in the SEC relatively injury free. Most experts would agree that as a passer Tebow is average. In this area he has benefited from having great athletes around him. However, 90 percent of the time, when his team needs a big play he finds a way of getting it done. He is great at improvisation and I don't mean in the Robin Williams vein. He simply has a knack for making things happen when it seems all options have been exhausted.

Most importantly, in my view, Tebow is a committed Christian. It is a shame that we have to qualify that, but there are a lot of Christians who are not very committed. Tebow is. I have observed and I have read and I have even researched, and Tebow has been very consistent in his walk. In a Biblical sense, he has produced much fruit. Born of missionary parents, another highly publicized aspect of his life, Tebow's faith is at the forefront of everything that he does. Herein lies the real rub.

I was listening to a local sports call-in show today when I heard a caller complain that Tebow's constant "rambling" about "his God" was a form of self-promotion. I will have to admit- in a moment of weakness- I wanted reach through the radio and pull out his larynx. Self-promotion??? Are you kidding me? It is this kind of attitude toward the highly public athlete who seemingly does things the right way that makes me sick. The public can't get enough of the T.O.'s, the Michael Vick's, the Roger Clemens' who royally mess up, but let Peyton Manning, Tony Dungy, or, yes, Tim Tebow, experience great success-- and do it the right way-- and just watch everyone try to cut them down. I am convinced that people love it when bad things happen to others and when others make catastrophically stupid decisions because it somehow elevates themselves. "Hey, I am not so bad, look at that guy!" It is the Bill Clinton effect.

Tebow does not have to promote himself. His abilities and successes are what cause the cameras to roll and the lights to come on. And when he is given the stage, he gives glory and honor to Jesus Christ- not some higher power, or little "g" god, or "the big man upstairs"- he thanks his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. That is the antithesis of self-promotion.

We need more "celebrities" who give us reason to smile- who make us want to strive harder. We don't need any more people that simply make us feel better about our own mistakes and shortcomings. Tim Tebow is not perfect. By his own admission, he has done things on and off the field that he wishes he could take back. We all have done that. We all will do that. What separates the good ones from the bad ones is this- the good ones admit (and confess) their mistakes. The bad ones blame someone else.

I, for one, will look forward to the fall to once again watch Tim Tebow dazzle us on and off the field. It would be fine by me, however, should he plan to be out of town on September 19, 2009. The only way that I have experienced "Tebow Fatigue" is watching his antics versus the Vols the last two years.

So far, Tim, its well done... well done.

3 comments:

  1. Amen and fantastic post. I am just like you, orange through and through, and even a UT Alumni, but I can't help but respect and pull for the guy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I lived in Gainesville when I was first married, and I am NOT a Gator fan (probably because I did have to live in Gainesville!)...but I love Tim Tebow because of his testimony for the Lord and his great talent on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Tiger. I also heard the same caller and just wanted to scream. And thank you for your testimony.

    Mark
    Blountville, TN.

    ReplyDelete