Monday, August 10, 2009

Teen Choice Awards 2009: Never thought the day would come...

I never thought the day would come that I would finally reach the age at which I stare at the television slack jawed and wondering what in the world I was seeing. I am a student minister after all. I spend lots of time with teens. I remember being one and thinking to myself, "I will always stay on top of what is current, hip, and hot." I unwittingly told myself a lie.

 It is amazing how things have changed. Styles change. Clothes shrink. Only moderate talent passes for superstar status. But who am I to throw stones? We all like what we like. It may fluctuate miniscule amounts one way or the other, but if we are honest with ourselves, we are not quite as all-inclusive, stylistically speaking, as we pretend to be.

 Yes, I am getting older, but at least I am aware of that fact. I know many who have the misconception that they can stay young forever. We get together and laugh at them--- but in a loving way, of course, and we preface it with a, "Bless his/her heart."

Posted via email from tigerbrooks's posterous

2 comments:

  1. I love this Tiger. Jim and I were saying how weird it was to actually be the "old people" now. We don't even understand half of what they are saying. It wasn't that long ago and we remember being teenagers and having them at home --but now we are completely out of their orbit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiger,

    Man, if you have reached old age so soon, Linda and me must be prehistoric! Haley is getting married next June; I don't know if her flowergirl will toss petals at the audience, but I hope so. We enjoy your blog. Incidentally,my senior moment came several years ago when I tried to watch the Grammys, but didn't recognize anyone. Its all dead for me after the Eagles! Have a good day!

    Ted & Linda Harris
    Hendersonville, NC

    ReplyDelete