Wednesday, March 17, 2010

UT Media Complaints About Practices Comical

As I read the twitter posts from any of a number of University of Tennessee sports beat reporters, the tension almost leaps off the page. It seems that everyone has their panties in a wad over trying to gauge the degree to which Coach Derek Dooley will allow access to the football program. The man has only been on campus for three months and many in the media are demonizing him simply because he hasn’t become their best buddy yet. Give me a break.

I am as passionate about UT sports as the next guy. During the coaching search, I spent WAY too much time at my lap top.  It was embarrassing. I crave information like everyone else. However, the University of Tennessee and I have placed our faith and trust in Coach Dooley, whatever his policies are related to media access, I am going to be okay them. I want him to be comfortable and in control. The day some 20-something, up-start, blogging, radio wannabe begins to dictate media policy to the school is the day that the trouble will begin.

It is greatly akin to complaining when your favorite restaurant abandons buffet service and adopts table service. You can no longer just walk around, grazing the pasture for something to eat. You are forced to sit there and be served whatever the special is that day. Yes, Mr. Reporter, you will have to work harder for your story. Sorry. Yes, Miss Rabid Fan, you may have to wait for the news you so desperately seek after. Nick Saban is the name du jour when it comes to a clamped down media policy. Many speculate that because Dooley is a Saban disciple, his policies may be similar. All I can say is--- as much as it pains me--- things seem to be working pretty well in Tuscaloosa.

Let Coach Dooley run this program as he sees fit. If it goes south, then have at it. But until then, I for one, will be supporting this coach and his policies. I will sacrifice news immediacy for program integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment