Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Reflections of a 40-Year-Old

Yes, yes, the rumors are true. I turned the big 4-0 today. We have all heard tales of this milestone birthday all our lives. Having now reached it, I must ask, "What's the big hairy deal?" It has really been anticlimactic on the "Oh, you are getting old" front. I honestly don't feel older. Thankfully, I am in the best shape I have been in since my early 20's.

However, from the standpoint of celebrating another year of life with family and friends, it has been OVERWHELMING!  In this age of social networking, telecommunications and radio waves, it seems that word travels fast. My cohorts at WCQR have announced it to the whole tri-state listening audience. I have so many Facebook wall posts that I could never hope to have the time to answer them, individually.  Then there's all the calls, texts, voice mails and emails. Whew! I am so blessed. Every single year on my birthday my phone will ring at 11:20AM, the exact time of my birth, and the voice on the other end is that of my sweet momma wishing me a happy birthday. I also got great birthday songs sung to me via phone and voice mail from various family and friends.

To all my family and friends who cared enough to take the time to wish me a happy birthday, regardless of what form it took, I am humbled and honored. Thank you very much for the encouragement. 

There was one voice mail, however, that was so unique I just had to share. My long-time friend, Debbie Johnson, happens to be the music teacher at Jefferson Elementary. This morning she had the chorus sing me a little birthday diddy that was so awesome I just had to share:

Debbie BDay by RevTiger

2 comments:

  1. Aw, Debbie is such a sweet woman! I'll add my "Happy birthday" to the ones you've already gotten. And thank you for your continuing prayers for my mom.
    ~Rachel Ayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Tiger! :) I esp enjoyed your fb about Ellie this morning! How hilarious! That Debbie Johnson is something else isn't she? That same group of singers serenaded me about 2 weeks ago on my 35th bday in my classroom. Great way to start the day! Happy Birthday! :)
    Anne Pierce

    ReplyDelete