Monday, August 13, 2007

What's In A Name?


Bear Grylls. I just like saying that. For those of you not "in the know," Bear Grylls is the star of the hit Discovery Channel series, "Man vs. Wild." One of the kids in my youth group told me all about the show over the summer and my wife, Paige, and I were instantly hooked. Maybe it was watching him parachute into a remote jungle in Ecuador and find his way out while surviving on bugs, plants, and fish he killed with a homemade bow and arrow. Perhaps it was the episode in which he was dropped into the outback of Australia where temperatures rose to well over 100 degrees and he was forced to drink his own urine before finding a water source. I don't remember exactly, but I guess if I am honest with myself, Bear had me when I heard his name.

I thought Tiger was a pretty cool name to have all these years, but "BEAR GRYLLS" it is not. I mean really, with a name like that you should be able to wade into a room full of ninjas armed with nothing more than a feather duster and come out with a plate of Chicken Teriyaki and your calculus homework finished.

Just when we were really getting into recording all the episodes on the trusty DVR, we find out that "Man vs. Wild" was under a cloud of scandal. It appears that instead of spending all those nights out in the uncompromising elements, ol' Bear and the boys were really hold up in the local Hilton. I must say I was rather disappointed. Bear really didn't live up to his name.

Throughout the Bible, we are reminded of the power of a name. When Moses asked God what to say when the Egyptians asked under whose authority was he coming, God said, in effect, "Tell them, 'I AM' sent you." It is known as the Tetragrammaton, the Hebrew letters are "YHWH" and we say Yahweh, but the Jews sure didn't say it! The name God spoke to Moses was considered so holy that they dare not speak it aloud. They developed the hybrid name Jehovah by combining the letters for Yahweh and Adonai, which means Lord, in Hebrew.

In Acts 4, Peter and John were arrested for preaching and performing miracles such as healing. As they stood before the Sanhedrin, Peter said, "It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed...Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Now THAT is a name, my friend.

If you have never called upon that name, admitted your sin, believed in Him and confessed your faith in Him, please do it today! It will be the best decision you ever made. Then you will be starring in your own episode of "Man vs. Wild." But with Satan, you may need more than a knife, flint and water bottle. So stay tuned to this blog... and your Bible.

2 comments:

  1. I told you this "Bear" weenie was a phoney! You wouldn't listen to me, but now you're convinced by the reporting of the ever reliable media.
    At least you got it right when speaking of the "REAL NAME" of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still think bear grylls is the shizznizzle fo shizzle my nizzle and u mentioned me in that lil story

    ReplyDelete