Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cast Your Cares On The Lord

Before entering the ministry in 2000, I spent some 19 years working with my father at the Exxon service station he has operated for 43 years. It is a full-service business with complete car service and repair. One of the many duties I had was to run service calls when someone had a flat tire, had a car that wouldn't start, or had some other vehicle difficulty that did not require tow service (which we also did), but did need a little "expert" help. I was recently reminded of one such call I handled. It was from a regular customer who called stating that something was stuck under her car and she could not get it out or move the car.

When I arrived at the house, I discovered that the “something” under the car was a rather obese Bassett hound. He had managed to wedge himself under the son’s “low rider, ghetto cruiser” that had a ground clearance of approximately 4 inches. I quickly got the jack out, lifted the car up enough to get the jack under it, and was able to free "Fido." The customer was elated, I was happy to have been able to help her and the dog took a liking to me, as well.

Reflecting on that event, I think about the mixed emotions the lady must have felt. Feelings of embarrassment over having to call about something so strange, while at the same time feeling worry and heartache for her dog. Likewise, many times people are too ashamed to talk to God about certain circumstances in their life. They feel unworthy of His concern. Instead, they let things grow and fester until they are completely overcome by them. Psalm 55:22 says, “Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you…” Matthew 7:8 says, “ For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” Our Lord wants us to give our burdens, the things that overwhelm us, to Him. He will take care of you. He promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment