Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Great Aunt Beulah's Quilts

She would kill me for identifying her as my "great aunt" even though she is the sister of my grandfather, but Aunt Beulah (Aunt B. to some) is a real pistol. Last Thursday night, she called and left a message stating she had made a quilt and pillow for my daughter, Ellie. This was quite out of the blue. I had not talked with Aunt B. since before Christmas and there was no occasion, birthday or otherwise, that merited such a gift. Later I found out that she had made my cousin's kids quilts and pillows and could not stand the thought of one of her great nieces not getting one. Friday afternoon, Ellie and I went to visit my Uncle Conley and Aunt B. Each night since, Ellie has wrapped herself up in her new quilt and drifted off to slumberland.

Before Christmas, I had posted about a church party I had attended at which everyone received a handmade gift from my good friends, C.B. and Ina Shanks. I want to revisit that theme once again.

The aforementioned cousin, Jeff, received his Aunt B. quilt for his high school graduation 25 years ago. It survived college and law school weathering those two tours of duty adorning his bed. As I type this, I am looking at my quilt which I received for my high school graduation 20 years ago. Paige has it prominently displayed along with a few other special quilts next to our fireplace.

What is it about handmade gifts? They are so special and meaningful. What other items stand the test of time like those lovingly crafted just for you by someone dearly loved? I think the bottom line is this: The sacrificial investment of one's self into the gift is the thing that sets it apart from the Target gift card, the tie and the toaster. It translates into other aspects of life, as well.

A marriage in which both partners invest themselves sacrificially will be the marriage that endures. The business in which both management and the general labor force invest themselves sacrificially is the one that realizes success. The church in which both the leadership and the laity...well... I think you get the picture.

Now consider the greatest gift ever given. It was in direct proportion to the greatest sacrifice ever made. Jesus Christ went to the cross for you and me, purchasing and delivering the single greatest gift that never stops giving.

Are you sacrificing and investing in others? Now is the time to start giving the good gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment