Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Daddy, come dance! The song is almost over."

So I got up this morning after sleeping in as as long as Ellie would allow me to sleep in. Paige had to get up and go to work for a few hours, so it was just Ellie and me (Mama 'Rie is downstairs in her house.) Ellie rushed up to me and handed me her brand new Hannah Montana FM-transmitting microphone so I could put some batteries in it. Then I had to go dial in a station on her clock radio that would allow her to get her sing on. Then, like all good daddies, I went to make some coffee.

After a few minutes Ellie tired of that and she just wanted to listen to the radio. She was having trouble and needed me to find a station "she could dance to." Since you can do anything you want to 88.3 WCQR, I tuned in and ripped the knob off (not really, but that saying never gets old.) Minutes later, I had just finished emptying the trash and was getting ready to settle in the Big Daddy chair with my coffee and remote when in runs Ellie frantically imploring, "Daddy, come dance the song is almost over!"

In those first few milliseconds, I admit, I was annoyed- my Saturday morning routine was being altered. Then a deeper meaning of those words began to wash over me. Ellie just turned 5-years-old and in her eyes, I am still Mr. Wonderful. The other night, I was late getting home because of youth stuff and Ellie had to go to bed without loving on her daddy. She fell asleep hugging a picture of me. But I have worked with young people long enough to know that the day is coming when the thought of dancing with her daddy might not sit as well with her. Milliseconds later I sprinted down the hall with Ellie in tow, swept her up in my arms and waltzed away the rest of the song. One of these days, the song will really be over and I will not have that opportunity again.

It reminded me of a song by Steven Curtis Chapman. He performed it in concert last year and I found it on You Tube. It is called "Cinderella." Although the quality of this homemade video is not the best, you will get the point. Get a box of tissue and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment