Monday, January 7, 2008

A New Year... A New Direction

Forgive me for taking some time since my last blog entry. Hopefully, you will understand after you read this.

On this the first Monday of the new year, I want to let you know that yesterday I resigned from my position as Minister of Youth and Children at Calvary Baptist and accepted the position of Minister of Students at Indian Springs Baptist, also here in Kingsport. My last Sunday at Calvary will be January 27. It is most definitely a bittersweet feeling that I have as I ponder all the ramifications of that decision, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is God's will as I endeavor to follow Him and the call He placed on my life many years ago.

I have been a part of the Calvary family for over 30 years. It is literally the only church I have ever known. I grew up coming here sporadically, was saved here at the age of 17 and it is here that they gave me an opportunity to serve all these years after responding to His call to step into vocational ministry. To say my roots run deep here is an extreme understatement. Now they have the privilege of sending me out to offer the gifts they helped me cultivate to others. That is what church is all about.

I have shared life with well over one hundred youth and children as a result of my ministry here. I love every one as if they are my own. I have lasting relationships that neither time nor distance can ever take away. Last night, as I shared this news with my kids and the church at large, much emotion was expressed and felt. I appreciate the well wishes and I can also appreciate the sentiments of those who need some additional time to process the news. It is a hard pill to swallow.

On the other hand, God has blessed me and my family with a fantastic opportunity to live and minister in a new field, while still being in the same town. It is important that Paige and I stay close to our parents as they age and deal with individual health concerns. God has provided for that in a big way. In my limited contact with Indian Springs, they have gone out of their way to be as friendly, inviting and welcoming as possible. It will be a great joy to serve alongside them.

If you read this blog regularly and you are a person of faith, I covet your prayers during this time of transition. Pray for me and my family as we say goodbye over the next few weeks and anticipate joining our new church. Pray for my Calvary family. I know that God has something tremendous in store for them going forward from here. He is preparing all of us for a special movement of His Spirit. Finally, pray for Indian Springs to be preparing for what He has in store for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment