Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well, after writing 2007 on about 9 checks, it will finally kick in that we have officially arrived at a new year- 2008. It is hard to believe that we are embarking on a new year. As I write these words, my family is asleep. We rang in the new year about an hour ago with our friends, Keith and Stacie and their adorable, new baby girl, Katherine. We are staying at their house so we can get up and watch the Vols bring the pain upon the Badgers in the morning.

All day, I fought the urge to post a year-end-wrap-up. Ultimately, I decided that I didn't want to look back. There is nothing wrong with looking back. In fact, it is usually a good practice. I am sure that after a few years of doing this blogging thing, I will appreciate the ability to log on and reminisce with some of my older posts, reliving forgotten moments and other special things. But today, it just did not feel like the right thing to do. I am looking forward.

I use this blog for lots of things. I use it to share my position on key topics. I use it to process my thoughts. I use it to just have fun and be entertaining sometimes. Right now, however, I feel like using it- and you- as an accountability partner. I want 2008 to be a high watermark year and I want this first post to stand as a harbinger of great things to come.

Here is a list, in no particular order, of things I would like to see happen in 2008:
  • I want to read a minimum of 20 books of substance this year
  • I want to discipline myself to get the sleep that I need - i.e. no late night blogs after this one
  • I want to do what I can to demonstrate strong servant leadership to my church
  • I want to teach my daughter to ride a bicycle this year
  • I want to blow Paige's mind with all the help that I give her around the house
  • I want to read through the Bible again
  • I want to lose 50 pounds
  • I want to baptize a minimum of 10 students
  • I want to live a life worthy of the blessings that my God is pouring out on me
These are not resolutions- they are goals. If you would like to live up to your end of this bargain as my accountability partner, keep yourself tuned in over the coming weeks and months, and you will see some things happening.

I pray that this year will prove to be amazing for you. With God, all things are possible. Never forget that. If you are not with Him, I pray that is at the top of your list of goals.

Peace out- I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment